Monday, March 17, 2014

Personal metrics part 1 The Akarin problem


 
The real menace
One day while looking over my blog I realized that the majority of the articles that I write for Jeckyllcast and Blog are reviews of various anime shows and movies. One thing that is important to realize about reviews are invariably subjective as any review requires an opinion. Even a review that says Princess Monoke is good or Akikan is bad is actually just a subjective opinion. Thus for another topic that I can blog about I have decided to write about what I consider to be good in terms of anime which will hopefully make reading my reviews more worthwhile.
 
One of the most enduring debates in the field of visual media (anime and beyond) is the importance of characters versus plot in a given work. There are even arguments about how some people who prefer one thing over the other determines one's quality as a fan (see more here). In truth both of them are important as all stories are what happens to the characters and if you don't care about either the characters or what happens to them the story will fall apart for the viewer.
 
One thing that I think it is important is that all of the main characters are important to the story. If there isn't a character who has a significant impact on the story then they shouldn't have a significant presence in the show. I find this problem is particularly common in slice of life shows as they are often about the lives of four school girls and for the most part the show might as well be about the lives of three girls, a manzai comedy pair and a viewpoint character. It has gotten so bad that this phenomenon has been lampshaded in Yuru Yuri in how Akari is the odd girl out who has no real place in the show.
 
So how does this affect my reviews? I look for how tightly the show is constructed regardless of genre. Unless it is a biography the details of a show are entirely up to a writer and dangling elements should be cut out whenever possible. This does not mean that I dislike the slice of life show. In fact I have seen slice of life shows that can adhere to this principle and they are among my favorites of the genre. It just means that slice of life shows have to deal with the same standards as other genre's of anime when it comes to my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment