Monday, July 6, 2015

Summer 2015 Season Overview Part 2 Fantasy and Reality Collide

If there is one big problem that I have with doing first episode reviews of shows it is that a lot of shows are mainly just setup in the first episode. This is especially true with fantasy shows in that you have to explain how the world is different before the story gets too far along. As I watched a couple of fantasy shows for this group I ran into this problem a couple of times.

Gate

One day a gate to a fantasy world opens up and a fantasy army attacks. They are quickly defeated but several months later the JSDF (the Japanese equivalent to the military) sends a force into the gate.

I felt the first episode was a bit hard to get a read on other than it had an otaku main character and there were some cute fantasy girls shown in the opening. I won't write this show complete off yet but it doesn't feel like it is going to become some anime classic.

Rokka Braves of the six flowers

There is a prophecy that six heroes will save the land from the demon god just like they did centuries ago. Self proclaimed (but to be honest he pretty strong) strongest man in the world Adlet Mayer believes that he is one of the chosen heroes.

Although this first episode is mostly exposition I do give the show points for it's pretty good action scene and Mesoamerican aesthetic. There doesn't look like there is too much negative in the show just yet so I will continue watching.

Charlotte

Yu is a young man with the ability to possess other people for five seconds. He uses this ability to cheat on tests until he discovered and forced to transfer to a different school.

I had high hopes for this show and it looks like my optimism was at least somewhat rewarded. Most of the first episode goes into introducing the main character, who has a good deal more personality to him than your average slack jawed harem protagonist. I also found the little sister to be cute and not in a creepy way. I will continue watching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment