Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Gundam build fighters, I accept this selling out


 
When I first posted about Gundam Build Fighters I pretty much said that it was a pretty bold faced toy commercial. I continue to hold this position but even though I dropped over half of the shows I saw I continue to watch this show rather happily and will probably continue to do so. How can I do this?
 
Come on kid you could try and through the het shippers a bone here
I think it is somewhat important to note that Gundam build fighters is a different genre than most Gundam or even most mecha shows. It is more of a sports show than a war drama like other Gundam shows, even G Gundam. Mecha is a genre that is most definitely on a downturn since 2008 and maybe one of the reasons is that many of the conventions that are staples of the genre have become stale. Even some of the more prominent mecha shows such as Guilty Crown and Valvrave tend to behave like poor copies of earlier shows. Gundam Build Fighters, at least right now is a simple show about a few kids who enjoy playing a game but still has much of the feel of a mecha show. Not everything has to be some sort of artistic masterpiece in order to shake up genre conventions.
 
Ral is buried in no sand zaku boy, no sand zaku
The other thing holding this show up is the amount of references that are dropped in the show. Ever since I living through the Lucky Star Hype I know a show can stand almost entirely on references. Perhaps the idea of references to another show is the show appealing to prospective fan the same way that one anime fan could appeal to another. This is how a show as kiddified as Gundam Build Fighters can appeal to an older crowd of mecha fans.
 
Even with leg breakers the show never steers away from it's genre.
Even though I find Gundam Build Fighters to be fun it is still a rather shallow type of fun. While the right kind of fan might really dig the heck out of this show I know it's not for everyone. Right now this show is a solid bronze for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment