Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Sakura Con 2014 Back again





First of all I would like to thank all of the people who read this blog for putting me over ten thousands views. It's things like these that keep me wanting to keep at it.

The anime convention is a big social event for anime fans and detailing one's convention experiences is a necessity if for no other reason it breaks up the blogging monotony of seasonal previews and reviews.

I have no epic tales of my travels to the convention simply because I live about as close to the convention as I do to work. The only difference between my trip there and a usual day is that I took the bus there because parking is as expensive as a wall scroll and hard to find in downtown Seattle. The preregistration line was all but non existent as I got there at eight thirty and I was left to my own devices before most of the stuff was open.

I decided to go to the manga library first. Even though there was only a scatter-shot manga collection I managed to find a couple of things to read, namely a volume of Skull man and Flowers of Evil. Although I have only seen a couple of episodes of the anime version reading the manga gave me some better context for the story.

Another big part of my convention experience was my trips to the dealer's room as if you live in a English speaking country without Akihabara or even a decent Mandarake around convention is your best chance at getting anime merchandise. Even though I have gone to conventions several times before  I think I realized that hopefully one of the most permanent ways to spend money there was to buy figures and this time I decided to start building a of collection figures there. You can see my figurine buys below.


I went to a few panels at the convention. I learned a couple of interesting things (particularly about the up and coming Kantai collection fandom) a few of the panels ending up sounding a bit rote to me, probably because I have seen something something like them before. I know it might sound slightly arrogant but maybe I should try my hand a running a panel in a future convention.

I found that I was spending several hours in the AMV room during the convention. As the years wear on I seem to find that music videos that anime fans make take a lot of work and creativity to make and the people that run the AMV room always seem to find the best videos around so it beats waiting around ten minutes or so to see if the video you downloaded from AMV.com was worth downloading.

As fun as I found the convention I found my activity to be cut short (as well being part of the reason why this post has been delayed by about a week) by some rather ill defined fatigue. So I leave you with one final lesson, always remember to take care of your health because nothing ruins fun like sickness.

Also  I should post all of the cosplay pictures I took at the convention. 






















 

No comments:

Post a Comment