Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Jeckyllcast and blog rating system




As with just about any other anime site there will eventually be reviews to be hosted there. Also reviews tend to require some sort of short hand rating system in order to allow readers a shorthand way of seeing how good a given show is. As I am of one of the degenerate generations where things like participation trophies are given out I will do the same for anime shows. However not all awards are equal and so here is my key to figuring out how good a given show is.

If I give a show a golden award this means I think highly of the show and think it is one of the best anime shows there is around. I probably won't give out more than a couple each year.
Example The revolutionary rose of gold (an award for a truly excellent shoujo anime, not going to tell if it is a reference to Rose of Versailles or Revolutionary girl Utena)
The golden von Lohengram Medal of Honor (Legend of the galactic heroes) for excellence in field of long form shows with a large scope and cast.

If I give a show a silver award it just means that I think the show is good but not exceptional. Shows with a silver rating are good enough that I recommend that you watch and are good examples of what anime in a given genre has to offer.
Example The silver Psibody (Star Driver) for being a genuinely fun and engaging mecha show.

If I give a show a bronze award I am telling you that it is just about average. It is very likely that you will not like a show and if you do, you might look at it as simple entertainment to get you through the day. These are often the shows you just watch because you like the genre conventions of a given work. I understand you probably won't watch these shows but often more in a sitting in the middle of a pile shame rather than outright avoiding it sort of way.
The bronze Hokago Tea cup (K On) for being a delightful time waster of a slice of life show.

If I give a show a tin award a simply saying the show isn't that good. While it may not be utterly terrible (see he category below) its bad points outweigh the good and I cannot in good reviewer conscience recommend it to anyone.
The tin Diclonius horn (elfin lied) for achievements in the fight against subtlety.


If I give a show a lead award it means my unholy wrath as a reviewer is upon this show. Do not expect me to say anything good in a long form review of it. In fact expect me to rip said work to shreds.
Example the leaden  angel pelt (Tenshi no shipo) for being a good deal dumber than even the usual harem comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment