Monday, July 8, 2013

Summer overview part 3 Magic fighting girls

I finally got to see something on my planned watch list. However it is still only one show out of nine I have seen so far. Even though summer tends to be one of the weaker seasons for anime (for those not in the know April and October tend to be the months when most of the best shows and almost all of the 24 to 26 episode long premier) I have found at least three solid seeming comedies that I wasn't really planning on watching.


Akarii is a normal teenage girl apart from her love of fortune telling which she inherited from her dead mother. However little does she know that mysterious forces are coalesing around her. Will she realize her hidden powers quickly enough for it to save her life? Even though I still stand with the comment that this show was made as a Madoka Magica clone I have found the first episode to be evidence that this show is strong enough to stand on its own despite any trend chasing. I found that that the show is rather good at timely dispensing information throughout the episode and doing so without exposition yet at the same time leaving the viewer with enough questions to keep them intrigued for the next episode.


The Genshiken club has always had a bit of trouble recruiting members and that doesn't change when Oguie takes the leadership position. However she does manage to find a trio of new girls to join, even if one of them is actually a man. Will this Otaku club become a Fujoshi club? I have found Genshiken to be one of the best sources of Otaku humor and from what I can tell it doesn't seem to be losing its touch. I am interested in seeing how this show takes a deeper look at female anime fandom.


Uzume is a middle school girl who was very good at a card game in elementary school. One day she get the strange feeling of someone reaching into her school bad. Instead of having something stolen she finds a strange smart phone like device inside that wasn't there before. Little does she know but that device is the key to a set of magical battles is is about to take place in. The best way I can describe this show is that it is a magical girl pokemon type show. If differentiates itself from your normal magical girlfriend show by having a female lead. I do feel that this is a show mostly for men although I would not be surprised if there are female fans of this show.


William Twiner is a brilliant aristocrat who doesn't believe in the supernatural. One day he learns that his family fortune has been lost with some bad investments and that he doesn't have money for tuition. He returns some to find that almost everything has been sold off. Searching for something to sell for money he accidentally summon the duke of hell, Dantalion. To put it simply Makai Ouji is a rather standard magical girlfriend type of show with the main differences is that it is set in England and that both of the main characters are male. As such I found this to be a decent show but one that I will not be following simply because it is not for me. As a comparison I would recommend this show over Free! If you were to show it to a mixed gender audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment